Re: x86: 4kstacks default

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Mon Apr 28 2008 - 13:50:46 EST

Adrian Bunk wrote:
On Sun, Apr 20, 2008 at 03:06:23PM +0200, Andi Kleen wrote:
Willy Tarreau wrote:
I have nothing against changing the default setting to 4k provided that
it is easy to get back to the save setting
So you're saying that only advanced users who understand all their
CONFIG options should have the safe settings? And everyone else
the "only explodes once a week" mode?

For me that is exactly the wrong way around.

If someone is sure they know what they're doing they can set whatever
crazy settings they want (given there is a quick way to check
for the crazy settings in oops reports so that I can ignore those), but
the default should be always safe and optimized for reliability.

That means we'll have nearly zero testing of the "crazy setting" and when someone tries it he'll have a high probability of running into some
problems.

Such a "crazy setting" shouldn't be offered to users at all.

We should either aim at 4k stacks unconditionally for all 32bit architectures with 4k page size or don't allow any architecture
to offer 4k stacks.

I have suggested before that the solution is to allocate memory in "stack size" units (obviously must be a multiple of the hardware page size). The reason allocation fails is more often fragmentation than actual lack of memory, or so it has been reported.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>