Re: 2.6.25 slow boot/reboot

From: Glauber Costa
Date: Tue Apr 29 2008 - 08:33:28 EST

Sergio Luis wrote:
Glauber Costa wrote:
Sergio Luis wrote:
On Mon, Apr 28, 2008 at 11:19 AM, Glauber Costa <gcosta@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
Sergio Luis wrote:

Ken Moffat wrote:

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 05:23:57PM +0200, Bart Van Assche wrote:

On Sun, Apr 27, 2008 at 7:37 AM, Sergio Luis <sergio@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:
This weekend I got some time and decided to try out 2.6.25, but its
booting process was _really_ slow in my laptop[1]. With 'old'
2.6.24.5 my
machine would take about 48 secs until it gave me the login prompt.
And it
would take about 22 seconds to reboot.
Sergio,

You said your system freezes. Does it happen after the last message you
see on dmesg, or during the kernel start up? It would help me to rule
out (or not), any issues in the cpu initialization process itself.

Hello Glauber,

the "freeze" happens during the kernel start up. It goes starting with delays in some points.
as I mentioned, when it prints "Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled"
it takes 90 seconds to print the next message. And then to reach that "serial" message it took already 20 seconds.
And it keeps on freezing at some other points too, after that. I also noticed the mouse cursor in the left bottom
is blinking in a very slow frequency, like every 6 seconds. It really disappears for a while, then returns and stay for another while and so on.
This does not correspond, by far, to what is seen in the dmesg you posted.

[ 1.375711] Serial: 8250/16550 driver $Revision: 1.90 $ 4 ports, IRQ sharing enabled
[ 4.399907] floppy0: no floppy controllers found

a 90-second delay is not what's happening, or at least, not what the kernel is seeing. So my bet would
be something clock-related. Probably the system's clocksource is not running the time correctly, which is causing system events to be delayed. I fail to see, however, how does the patch you bisected to influences this. Ingo, do you have any idea?

by the way, I messed up my git tree and I was wondering how could I have it back to the state it was when I started
testing this. this linus' commit was the last one, by then:

----

commit c3bf9bc243092c53946fd6d8ebd6dc2f4e572d48
git-reset --hard c3bf9bc243092c53946fd6d8ebd6dc2f4e572d48

right now I am not able to reproduce the _exact_ problem I had when i created this thread, i.e. I can't boot anymore. I tested 2.6.25 and it didn't have any
problems, it booted normally, like my 2.6.24.5 did.

So maybe the commit you bisected too is not really guilty. If you can now boot 2.6.25 fine, it might be the case that the commits you marked as good in the bisection process were not really good.

----

processor : 0
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 72
model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2000.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 0
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy ts fid vid ttp tm stc
bogomips : 4021.66
clflush size : 64

processor : 1
vendor_id : AuthenticAMD
cpu family : 15
model : 72
model name : AMD Turion(tm) 64 X2 Mobile Technology TL-60
stepping : 2
cpu MHz : 2000.000
cache size : 512 KB
physical id : 0
siblings : 2
core id : 1
cpu cores : 2
fdiv_bug : no
hlt_bug : no
f00f_bug : no
coma_bug : no
fpu : yes
fpu_exception : yes
cpuid level : 1
wp : yes
flags : fpu vme de pse tsc msr pae mce cx8 apic sep mtrr pge mca cmov pat pse36 clflush mmx fxsr sse sse2 ht syscall nx mmxext fxsr_opt rdtscp lm 3dnowext 3dnow pni cx16 lahf_lm cmp_legacy svm extapic cr8_legacy ts fid vid ttp tm stc
bogomips : 4018.24
clflush size : 64