Re: [patch] dvb: build failure fix

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 15:52:54 EST

On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 15:31:42 -0400
mkrufky@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> > Are there actually reports from users running into this problem?

No.

Yet, the configuration may be valid. If you have a board with tda8290, it
_will_ need another chip, like tda827x.

In the past, both tda8290 and tda827x were handled by the same driver, and
worked for analog only.

So, IMO, this is a regression.

> >> Maybe, we
> >> may just do:
> >> obj-y += /dvb
> >>

> > Do DVB_TDA827X/DVB_TDA18271 need anything from DVB_CORE?
> >
> > If yes you'd only transform one build error into another.
>
> DVB_TDA827X and DVB_TDA18271 do not need anything from DVB_CORE -- their
> only dependency is I2C_CORE.
>
> I think Mauro renamed those Kconfig symbols to MEDIA_TUNER_TDAfoo now, btw.

I can't foresee any issues with those drivers. The risk I can see is to compile
some dvb core things that aren't needed, or whose Kconfig dependencies may be
incomplete.

I didn't make yet a deeper analysis to be sure that this won't cause any issues,
but I suspect that this would be safe.

I agree that we need to check the resulting dependencies.

Cheers,
Mauro