Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 18:28:27 EST

Linus Torvalds wrote:

The tester base is simply too small.

Now, if *that* could be improved, that would be wonderful, but I'm not seeing it as very likely.

One thing is that we keep fragmenting the tester base by adding new confidence levels: we now have -mm, -next, mainline -git, mainline -rc, mainline release, stable, distro testing, and distro release (and some distros even have aggressive versus conservative tracks.) Furthermore, thanks to craniorectal immersion on the part of graphics vendors, a lot of users have to run proprietary drivers on their "main work" systems, which means they can't even test newer releases even if they would dare.

This fragmentation is largely intentional, of course -- everyone can pick a risk level appropriate for them -- but it does mean:

a) The lag for a patch to ride through the pipeline is pretty long.
b) The section of people who are going to use the more aggressive trees for "real work" testing is going to be small.

-hpa