Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: Willy Tarreau
Date: Wed Apr 30 2008 - 18:46:48 EST

On Wed, Apr 30, 2008 at 03:31:22PM -0700, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> On Thu, 1 May 2008, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > > And there's no way to avoid the fact that during the merge window, we will
> > > get something on the order of ten thousand commits (eg 2.6.24->25-rc1 was
> > > 9629 commits).
> >
> > Well, do we _have_ _to_ take that much? I know we _can_, but is this really
> > necessary?
>
> Do you want me to stop merging your code?
>
> Do you think anybody else does?
>
> Any suggestions on how to convince people that their code is not worth
> merging?

I think you're approaching a solution Linus. If developers take a refusal
as a punishment, maybe you can use that for trees which have too many
unresolved regressions. This would be really unfair to subsystem maintainers
which themselves merge a lot of work, but recursively they may apply the
same principle to their own developers, so that everybody knows that it's
not worth working on next code past a point where too many regressions are
reported.

Willy