Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: Rafael J. Wysocki
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 10:07:53 EST

On Thursday, 1 of May 2008, Stefan Richter wrote:
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> > And what do you think is happening _after_ the merge window closes, when
> > we're supposed to be fixing bugs? People work on new code.
>
> That's not correct. People work on new code before, during, and after
> the merge window. They also fix bugs before, during, and after it.

I'm not quite sure if really all of them do. Well, I should have said "some
people" instead of just "poeple" to be fair.

> > And, in fact, they have to, if they want to be ready for the next merge
> > window.
>
> To be ready for the next merge window just means to know which code is
> sufficiently reviewed and tested, and to have it queued up and if
> necessary synchronized with other pending code.

Of course it _should_ mean that, but the fact is unreviewed and untested
patches are pushed to Linus, at least from time to time. [Even some known
broken patches were pushed to Linus in the past, but we can't prevent that from
happening by any process changes.]

Thanks,
Rafael