Re: RFC: starting a kernel-testers group for newbies

From: Kok, Auke
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 12:28:29 EST

devzero@xxxxxx wrote:
>> I'll try to do this:
>> - create some Wiki page
>> - get a mailing list at vger
>> - point newbies to this mailing list
>> - tell people there which kernels to test
>> - figure out and document stuff like how to bisect between -next kernels
>> - help them to do whatever is required for a proper bug report
>
> good idea :)
>
> one more:
> reported bugs sometimes get lost in lkml (or elsewhere) and may not get the attention they need.
>
> maybe there are not enough people who put some steadiness into tracking bugs (i.e. put them in bugzilla and make sure they get tracked/resolved) ?

I would say that this should be one of the main goals - have a team of people who
can consistently be assigned bugs for duplication and verification. Getting newly
opened bugs reproduced can be half the solution (and a great way to learn the
kernel on the side).

often the reporter of the bug never confirms that the bug is fixed - another place
where linux testers can help out...

Auke