Re: RFC: starting a kernel-testers group for newbies

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 13:20:12 EST

On Thu, 1 May 2008 12:38:23 -0400 (EDT)
Steven Rostedt <rostedt@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> People here mention differnt places to look at code, and besides the
> kerneloops.org I really don't even know where to look for bugs, because I
> haven't seen a URL to point me to.

bugzilla.kernel.org is, umm, improving.

It would be an intersting exercise for someone to spend a few days seeing
how many of the bugzilla reports they personally can reproduce. I'd guess
"zero". There's a lesson in that.

The problem with bugzilla will be that it will be hard to find reports
where the reporter will be able to work with you on the fix - we've let
them go cold.

The most fruitful place to find fixable bugs is linux-kernel. People who
report bugs there are sufficiently motivated to have actually sent the
email and the bug is still recent, so they probably haven't done the
Solaris install yet.