Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 14:31:39 EST

On Thu, 1 May 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> In other words: do people have realistic ideas for how to make others
> spend _more_ time looking at patches? And not just _wishing_ people did
> that?

Just to throw out an example:

- make a "Random pending patch of the day" google gadget.

I know that's abit out there, and I'm not sure the google gadget thing is
realistic, but I bet I'm not the only one who ends up using the google
homepage all the time. A button that says "this patch looks ok", "this
patch looks crap", or "I dunno, give me another one to look at" might be a
fun game that would encourage people to look at a couple of patches a day.

You get five thousand people doing that occasionally (not every day, but
maybe when they are bored and look for something more rewarding than
trying to find bad music videos on youtube), and maybe you'd actually get
feedback on patches.

Make it pick a random commit that is in linux-next but hasn't been merged
into main -git yet.

Crazy? Probably. But at least it fits my notion of "let's not just wish
people did more patch commentary" thing.

IOW, if people are really serious about coming up with ways to improve
code quality, I really think it needs to be about _practical_ things that
can fit in our flow or can be extensions to it, not just wishing for
better quality.

"If wishes were horses, beggars would ride"

Linus