Re: Why such a big difference in init-time PCI resource call-paths(x86 vs x86_64) ?

From: H. Peter Anvin
Date: Thu May 01 2008 - 17:12:35 EST

Yinghai Lu wrote:
On Thu, May 1, 2008 at 1:11 PM, Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thu, May 01, 2008 at 11:16:31AM -0700, Jesse Barnes wrote:
> On Wednesday, April 30, 2008 9:07 am TJ wrote:
> > In preparation for writing a Windows-style PCI resource allocation
> > strategy
> >
> > - use all e820 gaps for IOMEM resources; top-down allocation -
> >
> > and thus giving devices with large IOMEM requirements more chance of
> > allocation in the 32-bit address space below 4GB (see bugzilla #10461),

I tried that some time ago and it turned out that some systems have
mappings in holes and don't boot anymore when you fill the holes too much.
But that was only considering e820. if you do this it might work if you
do it really like windows and consider all resources, including ACPI.

wonder if using holes in MTRR AND e820 could help...

Typically not, since the MTRRs won't tell you what is free address space and what is occupied by non-BAR I/O devices.

-hpa