Re: Slow DOWN, please!!!

From: Lee Mathers (TCAFS)
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 14:06:29 EST

Russ Dill wrote:
i can also say that i have noticed this on my own workstation, however
thats not really an as valid case, as i have also upgraded userspace and
such over time, but it used to be that my box wouldnt use more than
~100mb to boot into X with kde open, and about ~300mb at browsing/mail
and such, but these days my workstation easily uses 1.5gb of ram for no
apparent reason..

something certainly is fishy around here, these days people just tend to
fix it by throwing 10 times more ram in than should really be necessary,
which i guess, is because the ram prices has dropped 10 times

So you aren't really contributing anything to the discussion. It could
be userspace, it could be different types of pages you are visiting,
it could be the kernel, you haven't really measured what is taking up
the memory. And of course, its all because developers are lazy. Thanks
for the input.
If your subscribing and reading this list at least have the courtesy to think about your posting before delivering it around the world. Not to be rude but do you know how dumb you look right now. There are many programs that while provide detailed memory usage reports. That would be a first step.

By "cc" to the list...

*WTF*!! For someone that's been lurking on the kernel lists on and off since the mid 90's this has been one of the most stupid discussions and largest timesink to date.. Is this really the LKML or the #linux channel on irc?