[git head] Should X86_PAT really default to yes?

From: Frans Pop
Date: Fri May 02 2008 - 15:22:19 EST

With X86_PAT enabled, when X is started I get about 40 lines (with varying
addresses) like:
kernel: Xorg:3358 /dev/mem expected mapping type write-back for
807bf000-81000000, got uncached-minus

And when X exits I get a bunch of lines like:
kernel: Xorg:3349 freeing invalid memtype 80020000-8002a000

I also noticed artifacts (a band of about 2 cm high across the screen) after
X goes to black but before the switch to VT1.

When I unset X86_PAT all this disappeared.

Apparently this has been seen before:
http://lkml.org/lkml/2008/5/2/139

The author of that mail also points to:

Is this a bug in PAT or not. If it is, should PAT really be recommended to
be enabled by default?

System: Intel desktop with D945GCZ mainboard
Intel(R) Pentium(R) D CPU 3.20GHz
x86_64 kernel; Debian unstable
Video: 00:02.0 VGA compatible controller [0300]:
Intel Corporation 82945G/GZ Integrated Graphics Controller
[8086:2772] (rev 02)

Cheers,
FJP