Re: linux-next: Requirements and process

From: Stephen Rothwell
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 02:08:02 EST

On Sat, 3 May 2008 15:45:42 +1000 Stephen Rothwell <sfr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> The following architectures are not in linux-next (and should be):
>
> alpha cris frv
> h8300 m32r m68knommu
> mips mn10300 parisc
> um v850 xtensa
>
> See Andrew's mail for a list of other subsystems.

In case it isn't clear, I need to be told where I can get a particular
tree from and who should be contacted in case of problems (I do not troll
through the MAINTAINERS file). I can currently handle git trees and
quilt series. I am willing to consider other formats/scms. I also do
not mind having multiple trees (or branches or series files) for a single
subsystem/maintainer.

Series files must be annotated with an indication of the place in Linus'
tree that they are based on using the following format:

# BASE <some identification of a place in Linus' tree>

This base can be a SHA1 or a release tag or one of the ...-git<n> or the
output from "git describe". Alternatively, you can be based on another
tree in linux-next by using:

# NEXT_BASE <name of a tree in linux-next>

The names are in the Next/Trees file in each release and normally do not
change.

Also you may (if you like) delimit the parts of the series you want in
linux-next by using:

# NEXT_PATCHES_START
.
.