Re: [patch] video: build fix for drivers/media/video/mt9v022.c

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 13:58:35 EST

* Guennadi Liakhovetski <g.liakhovetski@xxxxxx> wrote:

> > with this config:
> >
> > http://redhat.com/~mingo/misc/config-Sat_May__3_16_08_39_CEST_2008.bad
> >
> > the bug was that the driver uses GPIO functionality but only
> > includes the GPIO interface definitions for the
> > CONFIG_MT9M001_PCA9536_SWITCH case, which was not set in this
> > config.
>
> Ok, once again a good catch and a wrong fix, sorry :-) The bug is that
> not CONFIG_MT9M001_PCA9536_SWITCH but CONFIG_MT9V022_PCA9536_SWITCH
> shall be checked for, of course. Copy-paste:-( I'll prepare a correct
> patch and submit it. As for the "cleanup" side - don't know. Would it
> be better to unconditionally include it? It won't hurt of course,
> looks better, but is unneeded when the GPIO is not used. And, although
> grep reports most drivers including asm/gpio.h, including linux/gpio.h
> seems indeed better.

No. If you look at the core kernel you wont see it sprinkled with things
like:

#ifdef CONFIG_LOCKDEP
#include <linux/lockdep.h>
#endif

why? Because we have put all such things into the include file
themselves and do not want to sprinkle .c files with ugly #ifdefs. This
is a basic cleanliness issue.

Furthermore, if anyone _else_ copy & pastes your driver, this bug wont
hit him anymore.

so please keep that #include <linux/gpio.h>.

Ingo