Re: i387/FPU init issues...

From: Mikael Pettersson
Date: Sat May 03 2008 - 14:59:48 EST

Thomas Gleixner writes:
> On Sat, 3 May 2008, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
>
> > Thomas Gleixner wrote:
> > >
> > > Jan, are you sure that P3 knows the P6 NOPs ? AFAICT its P4, but I
> > > have to dig up the manuals.
> > >

> > Pentium III is the P6 core, so it will.
> >
> > Intel explicitly documents "all processors with family 6 or F."
>
> Yeah, I looked up myself and noticed that I confused those stupid
> numbers again.
>
> Nevertheless reality seems to tell a different story :)

I've tested the "0f 1f 00" 3-byte NOP on two PIIs,
a Klamath (family 6 model 3 stepping 4) and a Deschutes
(family 6 model 5 stepping 0), and it worked fine on both.

Are you absolutely sure it's this 3-byte NOP that oopses?

I also noticed that jamal's /proc/cpuinfo contains
> cpu MHz : 1063.771
which is either wrong or indicates serious overclocking.
The PIIs maxed out at about 400/450MHz.

/Mikael