Re: RFC: starting a kernel-testers group for newbies

From: Rene Herman
Date: Sun May 04 2008 - 08:45:58 EST

On 30-04-08 16:15, Arjan van de Ven wrote:

Does that mean nobody should fix the m68k bug? Someone who cares about
m68k for sure should work on it, or if it's easy for an ext4 developer, sure. But if the ext4 person has to spend 8 hours on it figuring cross
compilers, I say we're doing something very wrong here. (no offense to
the m68k people, but there's just a few of you; maybe I should have
picked voyager instead)

On that note, I'd really like to see better binary availability of cross compilers. While it's improved over the last few years mostly due to the crossgcc stuff it's still a pain. Ideally, they would be available through the distribution package manager even but failing that some dedicated place on kernel.org with x86->lots and some of the more widely used other combinations would quite definitely be good. Perhaps not really directly relevant to this thread as such, but still good.

Andrew maintain{s,ed} a number of them at

http://userweb.kernel.org/~akpm/cross-compilers/

But as you see, most of the stuff there is really old again...

Rene