Re: changeset: Make forced module loading optional

From: Linus Torvalds
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 11:09:26 EST

On Mon, 5 May 2008, Linus Torvalds wrote:

> Right. Which is why I build the stuff into my kernel that is required, and
> then initrd can do whatever it damn well pleases.

Btw, I realize that a distro *can* make an initrd that only works with
their own kernel. I personally suspect I'll just switch distros if that
happens - I'm already irritated enough with startup scripts etc that
complain about "/proc/modules: No such file or directory" for stuff that
is already compiled in because they want to check if it's loaded.

But quite frankly, the distro really shouldn't need to make their startup
scripts (whether on initrd or just the regular /etc/rc.d/ ones) so
fragile. And quite frankly, I don't understand why people seem to use a
kernel *BUG* as an excuse to say that I shouldn't do what I have always
done - replace just the kernel.

Linus