Re: changeset: Make forced module loading optional

From: Jan Engelhardt
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 12:02:10 EST

On Monday 2008-05-05 17:32, Dave Jones wrote:
>On Mon, May 05, 2008 at 08:43:06AM +0200, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
>
> > So it's like:
> > <hack hack hack>
> > make modules_install
> > cp arch/x86/boot/bzImage /boot/mykernel
> > cp System.map /boot/System.map-2.6.26.1
> > mkinitrd -i /boot/myinitrd -k /boot/mykernel # suse, fedora might slightly different
>
>For Fedora (and many other distros), you can replace the last three
>lines with 'make install'

I don't trust that command. It might edit grub.conf in a way
that somehow impacts the regular workflow. (Like, overwriting an old
image, or creating oodles of entries in grub.conf.)
And say I had both lilo and grub installed (on the filesystem), with
grub in the bootloader; I'd fear that make install might run lilo and
trash grub in the MBR. No thanks, too much clouds. Also, it can't
possibly know how to call mkinitrd, because every distro has its own
stupid required flags (SUSE: requires none and tries to be smart,
though it will be thankful if you pass it -i and -k, whereas on Fedora
you need to specify the version, sigh.)