Re: VFS + path walktrough

From: Enrico Weigelt
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 15:04:53 EST

* Al Viro <viro@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> How _can_ server resolve symlinks, when result of symlink
> resolution depends on where the damn thing is mounted on client
> and even how deeply the process trying to do lookup happens
> to be chrooted?

In the same way as, eg. http servers, do. Of course this fails
if the symlink isn't resolvable within server's fs.

Several years ago, I've seen exactly this behaviour on Samba.
Whether this is what you might expect, is another story ;-P

> > Naive question: is it really *necessary* to have all the
> > intermediate dirs in dcache ?
>
> The answer's "yes".

What exactly are they needed for ?
Which information is needed ?
Can we perhaps fake them (at least we know - on success - the
intermediate components are dirs) ?

cu