Re: [patch, -git] media/video/sound build fix, TEA5761/TEA5767

From: Mauro Carvalho Chehab
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 16:35:14 EST

Which is exactly what my "require SYMBOL2 would give us.
A webcam would not depends on USB, but would "require USB".
If the decide to include the webcam she will optionally be prompted
so she can decide if it is OK to include USB support too

This would be a nice feature. In fact, some SELECT's were wrongly added in the past, at V4L/DVB Kconfig's as people understood that this would be the behaviour of SELECT.

IMO, I think it is preferred that "SELECT" could act as you've described: Check if all dependencies for the selected symbol are satisfied. If not, auto-selects or prompt to the users.

The auto-select feature, without prompting could be very helpful to allow testing kconfig items, since, instead of running all randomconfig's, subsystem maintainers can use scripts that will do something like allnoconfig, and then select just the symbols requested by each driver (*).

(*) Something like:
make select="DRIVER_FOO"
and
make select="DRIVER_FOO_MODULE"

could just do this: marks NO to everything and Y (or M) to the symbol, and just the required dependencies for that symbol to compile.

--
Cheers,
Mauro Carvalho Chehab