Re: Ability to limit or disable page caching?

From: Kevin Burton
Date: Mon May 05 2008 - 16:40:33 EST

... and here's another point I don't fully grok:

http://www.westnet.com/~gsmith/content/linux-pdflush.htm

"By default, Linux will aggressively swap processes out of physical
memory onto disk in order to keep the disk cache as large as possible.
This means that pages that haven't been used recently will be pushed
into swap long before the system even comes close to running out of
memory, which is an unexpected behavior compared to some operating
systems. The /proc/sys/vm/swappiness parameter controls how aggressive
Linux is in this area. "

"A value of 0 will avoid ever swapping out just for caching space.
Using 100 will always favor making the disk cache bigger. Most
distributions set this value to be 60, tuned toward moderately
aggressive swapping to increase disk cache. "

..... but we're running on zero and this machine still has 500MB of
free memory. Why is it swapping?

Kevin