Re: on CONFIG_MM_OWNER=y, kernel panic is possible.

From: Balbir Singh
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 01:49:34 EST

KOSAKI Motohiro wrote:
> on CONFIG_MM_OWNER=y (that is automatically turned on by mem-cgroup),
> kernel panic is possible by following scenario in mm_update_next_owner().
>
> 1. mm_update_next_owner() is called.
> 2. found caller task in do_each_thread() loop.
> 3. thus, BUG_ON(c == p) is true, it become kernel panic.
>
> end up, We should left out current task.

That is not possible. If you look at where mm_update_next_owner() is called
from, we call it from

exit_mm() and exec_mmap()

In both cases, we ensure that the task's mm has changed (to NULL and the new mm
respectively), before we call mm_update_next_owner(), hence c->mm can never be
equal to p->mm.

--
Warm Regards,
Balbir Singh