Re: kgdboe?

From: Ingo Molnar
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 09:16:56 EST

* Jesse Barnes <jbarnes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> So when will we see kgdboe or some other way of getting gdb to connect
> to the target over ethernet upstream?

i think the proper way would be to extend the kgdb-over-console (kgdboc)
concept and make it easy to utilize the existing netconsole code via
KGDB. This brings nice synergy: netconsole is utilized by other debug
infrastructure as well so anything that supports netconsole would
automatically support KGDB as well. I dont really like the old kgdboe
approach from a design POV as it created a parallel infrastructure for
special-purpose kgdb IO.

likewise, the firewire debugging code could/should be extended to create
a bidirectional console as well - that has other benefits as well. (we'd
get printks over firewire - instead of the special-purpose firescope
utility)

and the early console drivers could be reused to do early debugging via
KGDB as well.

Ingo