Re: linux-next: WARNING: at kernel/panic.c:375 __stack_chk_test+0x50/0x54()

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Tue May 06 2008 - 19:42:05 EST

Kevin Winchester wrote:
David Miller wrote:
From: Arjan van de Ven <arjan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 06 May 2008 12:49:33 -0700

this is weird; something is adding ANOTHER -fstack-protector to the (effective) gcc
flags.. which might be overriding the -fstack-protector-all setting.

I wonder if this is a distro special ;(

Ubuntu adds -fstack-protector to the GCC command line.

But I've been able to override it trivially when, for example, doing
GCC builds, by simply adding -fno-stack-protector.

I assume adding -fno-stack-protector would not really be an option in this case (since if I understand correctly it would be appended to the end of the flags which would turn the option off).

I guess I'll be figuring out how to build my own gcc...

one question (since I don't have an ubuntu system on my desk right now)

if you do

make V=1 kernel/panic.o

(after deleting that file if needed), can you check that -fstack-protector-all is the last
stack protector option we explicitly give to gcc ?
(anything else is distro special which we unfortunately cannot fix.. but maybe we can detect)