Re: 2.6.26, PAT and AMD family 6

From: Rene Herman
Date: Wed May 07 2008 - 20:10:10 EST

On 08-05-08 02:03, H. Peter Anvin wrote:
Rene Herman wrote:

Okay, that is utter nonsense. /proc/cpuinfo has always been, and will always be, the CPU *AS THE KERNEL SEES IT*. If you want something else, use x86info(1).

What a lovely way of syncing reality with your definitions. The kernel
_does_ see that my CPU features PAT, it just refuses to use it because
it doesn't trust it enough. Vital difference. Maybe not to the kernel,
but definitely to me, the user. /proc/cpuinfo is a user interface.

No, /proc/cpuinfo is informing the user about the kernel's view of the CPU.

And again, the kernel DOES see that my CPU features PAT, it just refuses
to use it.

Rene.