Re: Compact Flash Question

From: Mark Lord
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 09:26:50 EST

Bart Van Assche wrote:
On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 5:01 PM, StÃphane ANCELOT <sancelot@xxxxxxx> wrote:
we use silicon systems CF with wear leveling inside , we write a few
kb data back each 1/4 h on it.(log /tmp files are redirected to ram)

Silicon Systems CompactFlashes are the among the most reliable
CompactFlashes I have used in embedded devices. See also
http://www.siliconsystems.com/silicondrive/whitepapers/SSWP03-Endurance-R.pdf
for a whitepaper that explains their wear leveling and error
correction algorithms. Furthermore, Silicon Systems has a technology
called SiSMART that allows to monitor by how far the CompactFlash is
worn out, such that it can be monitored whether or not it is time to
replace the CompactFlash. (Note: I am not affiliated in any way to
Silicon Systems.)
..

Mmm.. according to that document, the "dynamic wear leveling" devices
might benefit from having Linux issue CF-Erase commands to unallocated sectors,
so that the onboard CF controller can then add those sectors to the wear-leveling
rotation scheme.

There was discussion at LSF'08 about possible filesystem hooks that could
be used for this (and other) purposes when deleting files.

Cheers