Re: The never enfind DRDY saga

From: Jeff Garzik
Date: Thu May 08 2008 - 19:21:34 EST

J.A. Magallón wrote:
Hi all...

I'm getting again my friendly DRDY errors, this time on the new disk I got
to replace the old one (that fortunately was still under warranty...).
This is a brand new disk, it came perfectly packaged...
Now it is not a Seagate, but a WD:

Note that DRDY is not an error:

http://ata.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Libata_error_messages

But moreover, for Serial ATA, timeouts are generally due to platform problems, irq problems, or driver problems. When we see timeouts, we generally do not look at the hard drive as the primary cause.

Have you gone through the debugging process for irq problems -- turning off ACPI, noapic, etc.?

Jeff