Re: [RFC] Kernel naming convention in the merge phase

From: Stefan Richter
Date: Mon May 12 2008 - 16:57:20 EST

Oliver Hartkopp wrote:
Romano Giannetti wrote:
What about a -rc0 as the first commit after a release? Will help a lot
automatic installing scripts...

What is "a lot"? Maybe the solution is to switch from sh to bash.

Yes - this was also my intention. I don't have any preferences if the first commit after a release is named -merge or -rc0. But it should point out that we're leaving the former stable release.

2.6.25-git8 says exactly this. It is a nightly generated patch on top of 2.6.25, retrieved from the then current linux-2.6.git.

If you see a -gitX then you know that this is not a release, it is only a snapshot.

Your proposed -rc0 on the other hand has, in addition to the drawbacks which H. Peter already mentioned, the problem that there would be suddenly two release names for one and the same release. This would only increase confusion.

Anyway. You can always add your own tags in your cloned repository.
--
Stefan Richter