Re: Unneeded kernel threads (xfs, jfs, gfs2)

From: Donald Douwsma
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 01:30:32 EST

Georgi Chorbadzhiyski wrote:
Hi guys, I know that not all kernel thread users are converted to
start only when needed but the following is little annoying specially
when I'm not even using jfs, xfs and gfs2.

Look at the ps output from a standard distro 2.6.24.5 kernel after a
fresh boot:

Kernel config can be found here:
http://mirrors.unixsol.org/slackware/slackware-12.1/kernels/hugesmp.s/config

Your distro is building all of these modules into the kernel.
CONFIG_XFS_FS=y
CONFIG_JFS_FS=y
CONFIG_GFS2_FS=y

This isnt exactly standard practice, normally they'd be set to =m and only
used if required to mount a filesystem. You may want to ask the slackware
people why they chose to do this for their hugexxx.s kernels.

Don