Re: 2.6.26-rc2 hosed X?

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 02:22:29 EST

On Tue, 13 May 2008 12:38:28 +0200 Norbert Preining <preining@xxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I usually follow the -rc series with skipping the -rc1 (waiting for the
> worst errors to be fixed).
>
> Here now a severe regression with respect to 2.6.25: X seems to be hosed
> in the sense that:
> - switching to console
> - suspend 2 ram
> - suspend 2 disk
> often leaves the computer completely unusable.
>
> I am using:
> - Debian/sid up2date, i.e. xorg server 7.3
> - intel Chipset 945GM (Acer laptop)
> - intel xorg video driver 2.2.1 and 2.3.1 (both tested)
>
> Since not even Sysrq is working I cannot get a log file or whatsoever.
>
> Is that something known, are is there some patch to revert/test?

I'm not aware of anything, no.

First thing to do is to test a more recent kernel, see if we already
fixed it. Latest mainline would be good. linux-next would be better.
2.6.26-rc2-mm1 (hopefully a couple of hours away) would be best.

If we haven't fixed it then I'm afraid our best shot would be for you
to run a bisection (please).
http://www.kernel.org/doc/local/git-quick.html