Re: [BISECTED] Lots of "rescheduling IPIs" in powertop

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 02:58:34 EST

Arjan van de Ven wrote:

[cc Len]

> On Tue, 13 May 2008 23:19:47 +0200
> Andi Kleen <andi@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>> Ok the CPU reports it doesn't support any C states in MWAIT. If that
>> is correct then it would be correct to not use MWAIT idle and might
>> actually save more power to not use it.
>
> what does the current SVN powertop say on this cpu?
>
>> I don't know if that's true or not. Do you have a power meter perhaps?
>> If yes can you measure if there's a difference between mwait=idle /
>> default on your box when it is idle?
>>
>> [cc Arjan he might now if that CPU is supposed to support C1 in MWAIT]
>
> I wasn't aware that P4's supported mwait in this way; I thought it was
> core and later.

Not even C1? I generally consider MWAIT without C1 to be unusable.

Anyways if C1 doesn't work then it would be correct to not use MWAIT.

>> CPU reports it supports C1/C2/C3. Are you sure there is a difference
>> on that box? The code should have kept using MWAIT because it checks
>> C1. Please double check.
>
> The check is .. dubious I suspect...

I don't think so.

> because the cpuid bits are not
> actually the prime source of information, the BIOS is.

Hmmm? What BIOS information are you refering to?

Normally it's my experience that CPUID is more reliable than the BIOS.

> If the bios says mwait is usable, we need to use it with the values IT
> gives us.

At least to my knowledge the ACPI FADT just says what C states are
available, not if they are implemented with MWAIT or using IO ports.

-Andi