Re: + wireless-fix-iwlwifi-unify-init-driver-flow.patch added to-mm tree

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 13:52:06 EST

On Wed, 14 May 2008 08:34:32 -0400 "John W. Linville" <linville@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 10:15:29PM -0700, David Miller wrote:
>
> > I used to play this game, it's a lot of work and it sucks. One
> > "drib" can require fixing up 200 patches down the chain. And
> > I've had this happen to me all the time in the past when I was
> > rebasing all the time.
>
> I have to agree with Dave.
>
> Moreover, I used to get regular complaints about the old "regular
> rebase" process. We switched to a "pull and merge" process for 2.6.25,
> and in that period nearly all of the process-related complaints
> disappeared for me.

Well. Have you ever been an hour and a half into a bisection at 3AM
then hit a massive oops deep in the TCP code which was spread across a
large number of commits? I have and it wasn't fun. iirc I gave up and
went to bed.

> To some degree this is a "pick your poison" issue, and for most people
> rebasing seems like the deadlier poison.

Well yes. We'd like the best of both worlds, only we cannot have it.
And the sole _reason_ we cannot have it is due to restrictions in git
<stimulate, stimulate>.