Re: [Bug #10679] 2.6.26-rc1 regression:e5e1d3cb20034a3cbcfff1f0bae12201aa2ce17e breaks artsd

From: Theodore Tso
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 17:20:40 EST

On Tue, May 13, 2008 at 12:46:50PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Sun, 11 May 2008 22:04:16 +0200 (CEST),
> Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> >
> > This message has been generated automatically as a part of a report
> > of recent regressions.
>
> It's no regression but just a problem of a new driver. The reporter
> must have added the new config (CONFIG_SND_PCSP=[y,m]) explicitly.

People who include this driver (either because they added it thinking
it wouldn't do much), or because their distro compiles lots of stuff
as module, could potentially get surprised, if it renumbers how the
soundcards are enumerated. On my system, my sound card ended up going
from hw:0 to hw:1, which given my ~/.asoundrc, meant that sound
appeared to be broken with errors such as this:

aplay: set_params:900: Sample format non available

Once I edited by ~/.asoundrc file to use hw:1 instead of hw:0 the
problem went away, so it's really not a kernel _bug_ per se, but the
result might be surprising. Maybe there should be a quick warning in
the Kconfig file? It's not that big of a deal, but I did end up
spending quite a bit of time trying to track down what I initially
thought was a regression.

Regards,

- Ted