Re: [patch 21/21] slab defrag: Obsolete SLAB

From: Christoph Lameter
Date: Wed May 14 2008 - 17:54:17 EST

The last message that I got on March 31st said:

>>I have a version below which tries to start the tasks at a similar time
>by using pause() and then signalling to wake all the tasks up. I don't
>?know a better way to start threads simultaneously ... maybe MAP_SHARED a
>file and write to it in one task while spinning in the other tasks
>waiting for it to change value?

>I've also been playing around with locking the scsi_ram_0 thread to one
>CPU and it has a huge effect on the numbers.

This indicated to me that you were still developing a test here and
discovered some startling things.

> Note the complete lack of comparison between slub and slab here! As far
> as I know, slub still loses against slab by a few % -- but I haven't
> finished running a comparison with -rc2 yet.

Indeed remote frees are slightly slower in some situations. Dont really
dispute that. I am just not sure that the TPC test is really suffering
from that symptom. I thought for a long time that the tbench regression
was due to a similar effect too until I got down to it.

> I thought you'd already run this test and were asking for the results of
> this to be validated against a real TPC run.

AFAICT the last state was that you were tinkering around with a test.

> I'm rather annoyed by this. You demand a test-case to reproduce the
> problem and then when I come up with one, you ignore it!

Ignore it? That is pretty strange statement given that I helped you
analyze the behavior of your test and understand what was going on the
system.