Re: Kernel hangs in SMP + VMware environment.

From: Tetsuo Handa
Date: Thu May 15 2008 - 02:12:23 EST

Hello.

Alok Kataria wrote:
> Can you try the patch attached with this mail, I made this on top of
> 2.6.24.7 but should fit on any other 2.6.24 based distro kernel.

I tried 2.6.24.5-85.fc8 with your patch, and I can no longer reproduce
this problem. I think the problem has been solved.

Also, workaround till your patch is applied to distro kernels seems to be
to add "clocksource=jiffies" or something to avoid using tsc as clocksource.
Fedora 9's 2.6.25-14.fc9 also hangs since the default clocksource is tsc, but
with "clocksource=jiffies" added, I encounter no hangs so far.

>From today, I can compile kernels using 2 CPUs.
Thank you very much.