Re: [patch 6/9] fuse: add export operations

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Thu May 15 2008 - 09:07:26 EST

> > This is the same filehandle type XFS uses for 64bit inode filesystems
> > where the parent is not encoded. I'll post a patch soon to move that
> > 64bit inode handling to common code. I don't think it's a good idea
> > to delay your patch until that happens, but can you chose the fid
> > types to be the same as XFS does currently so that a conversion is
> > easily possible. The fh_type should be 0x81 (fh type 1 order by 0x80
> > to imply it's 64bit inodes)
> >
> > In case you want to look at that patch I'v uploaded the current
> > version at http://verein.lst.de/~hch/generic-64bit-inode-export

OK, the problem is: fuse doesn't store the number indexing the inodes
in i_ino. This is not entirely trivial to fix: we either supply the
inode numbers to the encoding function explicitly, or use something
like the get_inode callback in generic_fh_to_dentry/_parent. At which
point I begin to doubt if it's worth the effort to share this code.
After all the encoding/decoding functions are not complicated at all.

Miklos