Re: [RFC] make wext wireless bits optional and deprecate them

From: Marcel Holtmann
Date: Sat May 17 2008 - 09:45:32 EST

Hi Johannes,

The /sys/class/net/*/wireless/ direcory is, as far as I know, not
used by anyone. Additionally, the same data is available via wext
ioctls. Hence the sysfs files are pretty much useless. This patch
makes them optional and schedules them for removal.

it is used by HAL to classify WiFi network cards as net.80211 instead of net.80203 and so we do have an actual user. However HAL only tests for the existence of the directory wireless/.

Please fix HAL first before submitting such a patch.

Regards

Marcel