Re: [RFC] x86: merge nmi_32-64 to nmi.c

From: Andi Kleen
Date: Sun May 18 2008 - 06:25:54 EST

Cyrill Gorcunov wrote:

> yes, but what to do with absence of __nmi_count on 32bit and die_nmi
> uses different number of args? gcc follows both pathes anyway trying
> to evaluate where I prefer it would not... I mean I've got errors
> on compiling procedue 'cause of different number of args for die_nmi
> used in 32bit mode. That is why I've asked Thomas if it possible to
> add "panic" boot option for 32bit mode and make it familiar with 64bit
> mode and merge them eventually.

Sorry just pointed out why the Kconfig idea doesn't work, nothing more.

If you want to avoid ifdefs then you have to unify the functionality
first. Putting syntactical sugar on ifdefs doesn't make sense.

I haven't kept track of the exact state of the code, but if the per cpu
data macros are finally as efficient as the PDA you could move the
nmi_count to per_cpu in both for once.

-Andi