Re: kernel boot hangs after x86: insert_resorce for lapic addrafter e820_reserve_resources

From: Ciaran McCreesh
Date: Sun May 18 2008 - 18:24:20 EST

On Sun, 18 May 2008 14:00:16 -0700
"Yinghai Lu" <yhlu.kernel@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >> wonder if init_apic_mapping need some delay with that strange
> >> chipset.
> >
> > I don't see any additional information with apic=verbose with the
> > broken kernel (although I only have a screen's worth of text that I
> > can see -- the kernel doesn't get far enough to let me grab it).
> > I've attached dmesg from a working kernel with apic=verbose in case
> > that helps.
>
> or try to boot with initcall_debug to see where did it hang.

The last initcall_debug messages are:

calling atiixp_ide_init+0x0/0x20
initcall atiixp_ide_init+0x0/0x20 returned 0 after 0 msecs
calling piix_ide_init+0x0/0xc0
initcall piix_ide_init+0x0/0xc0 returned 0 after 0 msecs
calling ide_scan_pcibus+0x0/0x100

ide_scan_pcibus doesn't return. I tried shoving some printks in there,
but as soon as I did it instead locked up in pci_init. Is it worth
continuing this approach or will doing so not give useful results
anyway?

Thanks,
--
Ciaran McCreesh