Re: UML fails to locate address space

From: Jeff Dike
Date: Tue May 20 2008 - 12:16:16 EST

On Tue, May 20, 2008 at 02:59:14PM +0100, Tom Spink wrote:
> Attached. I guess the line of interest is:
>
> mmap2(NULL, 4096, PROT_READ|PROT_WRITE,
> MAP_PRIVATE|MAP_FIXED|MAP_ANONYMOUS, -1, 0) = -1 EACCES (Permission
> denied)

Yup.

Can you try three things:
check the maps file for any arbitrary process
(i.e. /proc/$$/maps) and see if there's anything mapped at 0
gdb UML, stop it at that mmap, check its maps file and see if
there's anything mapped at 0
send me a pointer to the patches that Ubuntu has applied on
top of the stock kernel - I'm suspicious that they special-cased page
zero in order to ensure that NULL pointer dereferences cause faults.

You can test this last theory by initializing bottom to 4096 instead
of 0.

Jeff

--
Work email - jdike at linux dot intel dot com