Wired behaviour with IPv6 over PPP

From: Matthias Cramer
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 09:03:54 EST

Hi All

I have a very wired behaviour when doing IPv6 over PPPoE.

The situation:

A linux box connected to a DSL Modem, on the other side is a Cisco LNS which terminates the PPP session (actually L2TP).
I have control over both ends.

When I have net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding set to 0 then the ppp Interface gets a IPv6 address from the Cisco via IP6CP.
When I have net.ipv6.conf.all.forwarding set to 1 them the ppp Interface does not get an address, it has only a normal link local address.

When I start the ppp session with forwarding set to 0 I can ping out and there exists a default route to ppp0 , then I switch forwarding to 1
the default route disappears and therefore routing does not work any longer.

Is this a known behaviour ?

Or am I doing something the wrong way ?

Kernel version is 2.6.25

Best regards

Matthias

--
Matthias Cramer / mc322-ripe System & Network Manager
Interway Communication GmbH Phone +41 43 500 1111