Re: completely lost as to what to do, or where to look.

From: Justin Mattock
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 13:05:00 EST

On Wed, May 21, 2008 at 2:51 PM, Oliver Pinter <oliver.pntr@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> you use ati or nvidia binary driver?
>
> On 5/21/08, Justin Mattock <justinmattock@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

>>> Which X video driver are you using?
>>>
>>> What exactly is the error message?

>>> cu
>>> Adrian
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> "Is there not promise of rain?" Ling Tan asked suddenly out
>>> of the darkness. There had been need of rain for many days.
>>> "Only a promise," Lao Er said.
>>> Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed
>>>

>> Hello; thanks for the feedback, from previous posts, you know what
>> module I'm talking about, So with that in mind I'm going to go
>> to the next question: From error messages "there isn't"
>> the only leeway or light at the end of the tunnel I see is with
>> libdri.so i.g. If I boot the system up with out messing with anything
>> I will receive
>> a black screen after issueing startx, (from looking at what I see, the
>> screen will flash one time then black, it should flash or blink two
>> times
>> before giving me my lovely picture(wallpaper) then if I remove
>> libdri.so everything starts up as usual so with that in mind since I
>> received
>> a post about DRI being all F*&^ked up then maybee that is the culprit,
>> I think All I really need right now is info on the xserver and the
>> kernel.
>> What mechanisms are used or files that are responsible for the two too
>> coexist.
>> regards;
>>
>> --
>> Justin P. Mattock
>> --
>>

> --
> Thanks,
> Oliver

Alright: I'm using 2.6.26-rc3-00122-g748bf99, I pulled if I can
remember Monday night and I did notice drmP.h and the rest of the drm
files,
but, will try and pull again to see if it makes a difference. As for
the question about what video card nvidia or ati, I'm stuck with ati,
went into apple yesterday to see if that would be easy to change out,
but unfortunately I would have to get a new laptop.
To bad apple didn't use an intel graphics card, that linux already has
a module for.
As for error messages looking at /var/log/Xorg.0.log it seems the
Xserver can't finish completing DRIScreenInit
the /dev/dri/video0 is created, but then just stops after that, no
conversation with the module and dri after /dev/dri/video0 is created.
At this point, I'll try and pull and see if it makes a difference, and
if not then I'll have to just keep trying.
That's why right now I just need any kind of info about files or
mechanisms that are used in this situation so I can at least try and
connect the dots with this issue.

regards;
--
Justin P. Mattock