Re: iput() in reclaim context

From: Andrew Morton
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 14:14:16 EST

On Wed, 21 May 2008 18:52:27 +0100 (BST) Hugh Dickins <hugh@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Tue, 20 May 2008, Andrew Morton wrote:

> I happened to notice your remark in the buffer heads defrag thread.
> Do you remember what that limitation was about?

Ages and ages ago. I expect it was a deadlock thing. iput_final() can
end up calling things like write_inode() which can want to do things
like opening a transaction against filesystem A while already having
one open against filesystem B. Which is both deadlockable and BUGable.
It will take other embarrassing locks too, probably.

> Because just a few months ago I discovered a shmem race which I fixed
> by doing igrab+iput in shmem_writepage, in the reclaim context. Feeling
> guilty now: I'd better investigate, but would welcome a starting pointer.
>
> (If I'm lucky, it'll be that the generic code in vmscan.c cannot
> use iput, but particular filesystems might themselves be safe to.)

Yes, it was specific to the direct-reclaim calling context.