Re: Suggestion About Kernel Releases

From: Rik van Riel
Date: Wed May 21 2008 - 15:56:37 EST

On Wed, 21 May 2008 16:59:56 +0300
Tarkan Erimer <tarkan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Even, Linus can releases new kernels more quickly. Because, testing
> purpose should be handled by someone else like Chris did for 2.6.x.y.

If Linus were to go straight from merge window to merge window,
with stabilization happening in parallel, then there would be
no stable basis at the start of each merge window and bugs can
just pile up.

Speeding things up could lead to the same kind of code quality
issues we used to have in the 1.3, 2.1, 2.3 and 2.5 kernel series.

Slowing down regularly is good, not bad.

--
All rights reversed.