Re: Number of bugs - statistics

From: Natalie Protasevich
Date: Thu May 22 2008 - 13:09:35 EST

On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 9:50 AM, Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Thu, May 22, 2008 at 09:20:46AM -0700, Natalie Protasevich wrote:

>> > Andrew sees and handles the majority of incoming bug reports.
>> > Ask him whether he agress with this.
>> >
>> > And ALSA alone has 2000 open bug reports, which makes the open ACPI or
>> > SCSI bug numbers relatively irrelevant in any "number of bugs"
>> > statistics.

>> > Where do we have data for 2.6.25 covering all kinds of bugs?
>> >
>> > Regressions reported before 2.6.25 and Oops'es etc. are only a small
>> > part of the picture.
>>
>> There is no unified tracking mechanism as of now, this is a big
>> problem. There are some projects that have ideas about universal bug
>> tracking, for example some people from KDE team expressed their ideas,
>> I'm planning to get back with them.
>> It would be great if all reports from known and unknown bugzillas were
>> piped into one place and sorted out,
>
> Not everyone uses Bugzilla (e.g. ALSA uses Mantis).
>
> And the majority of bug reports might still go only to mailing lists and
> not into any bugtracker at all. As long as this happens the data is
> simply not available.

True. It was argued that mailing list is more effective that bugzilla
as a collaboration mechanism while working on a bug. But if it was a
way to record it into bugzilla "seemlessly" (as Andrew tried to
enforce, by asking those on the list to add CC to bugme-deamon) this
would be perfect.
Another one to implement...

>> by various criteria: ALSA bugs
>> are numerous, which is not important for most enterprise server users
>> who would completely disregard this category, whereas desktop users
>> will probably concentrate on those more than any other.
>
> The majority of machines running Linux most likely runs with ARM CPUs.
>
> Show me any public source you want to use for getting serious data for
> this area.

There is no one, except dispersed reports and ... appropriate
implementation involving search engine comes to mind.

>> So the answer
>> to question about kernel stability would be more adequate depending on
>> who's asking.
>
> You must not confuse "number of reported bugs" with "kernel stability" -
> these two can be quite decoupled.

Number of existing, proven and prioritized bugs maybe better to say.
I think there is a correlation.
--Natalie