Re: [patch 04/14] gfs2: dont call permission()

From: Miklos Szeredi
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 06:00:46 EST

> Generally this sort of recursion through the VFS is ugly and
> unnecessary, it's much better to provide helper for what the VFS is
> doing if there's a lot of duplication. But in this case there's
> really no point in that at all.

And that's true of lookup_one_len() as well, the last bit of horror
left in this permission() saga. It's called from lots of places,
often for doing things it's not at all meant to do (e.g. where caller
_knows_ it will return negative, etc...). One day maybe I'll have
strength to clean that up as well..., but not now.

Miklos