Re: Number of bugs - statistics

From: Arjan van de Ven
Date: Fri May 23 2008 - 16:11:29 EST

On Fri, 23 May 2008 19:50:55 +0300
Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Fri, May 23, 2008 at 07:11:57AM -0700, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > On Fri, 23 May 2008 12:09:40 +0300
> > Adrian Bunk <bunk@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >

> > > And in case anyone says "not forwarded distribution bugs aren't
> > > our problem":
> > > That's a nice example, since in this case a distribuion suddenly
> > > starting to agressively forwarding their bugs might contribute to
> > > making the kernel better, but might also totally ruin the numbers
> > > in any statistics.
> >
> > Fedora gets less than 1000 bugs per release (so 6 month window).
> > That's... peanuts.
>
> 2000 kernel bugs per year?

it's going down; 750-ish for the last few releases

(see http://kernelslacker.livejournal.com/116718.html )

> Then Fedora alone gets roughly as many kernel bugs as the kernel
> Bugzilla.

but kernel bugzilla is "only" a last resort, while fedora bugzilla is a
first point of contact. I'd rate a kernel.org bugzilla bug to be 3x a
fedora bz bug in terms of value (eg less dupes, it's not support
requests but actual bugs etc etc).

> > We are tracking over 3000 bugs per WEEK via other channels.
>
> What exactly are you measuring with this "3000 bugs" number?

Oopses and places where the kernel goes WARN_ON().
(the oops:warning ratio is roughly 1:2 to 1:3)