Re: Patch: usblp quirk for zebra printers

From: P. Christeas
Date: Sun May 25 2008 - 05:05:25 EST

On Thursday 22 May 2008, Pete Zaitcev wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2008 20:57:49 +0300, "P. Christeas" <p_christ@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I guess such a quirk may be a little odd, but it has been a blocking
> > point in my system not being able to support more than one printer.
> Personally, I don't like this. In kernel, we typically try not to
> fake things in lower levels in order to fool upper levels.
> I'm cc-ing this to Tim Waugh.

I'm now working in a more "politically correct" way around that issue [1]. The
outline is that we _add_ a backend to CUPS[2], which will bring back USB
addressing by /dev/.. name. Then, we could implement udev rulesets which will
create "by-id" symlinks to the usblpX devices.
My work is at github under "cups-usbbackend".

[1] it is a blocking point for my business, as I cannot attach a second
printer.
[2] it could remain a complementary package until we really agree we want that
code mainline.