Re: Performance Characteristics of All Linux RAIDs (mdadm/bonnie++)

From: Bill Davidsen
Date: Wed May 28 2008 - 18:48:55 EST

Alan Cox wrote:
On Wed, 28 May 2008 18:34:00 +0200
"Jens BÃckman" <jens.backman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Wed, May 28, 2008 at 10:53 AM, Justin Piszcz <jpiszcz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Results:

http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/raid/20080528/raid-levels.html
http://home.comcast.net/~jpiszcz/raid/20080528/raid-levels.txt
Either the RAID 1 read speed must be wrong, or something is odd in the
Linux implementation. There's six drives that can be used for reading
at the same time, as they contain the very same data. 63MB/s
sequential looks like what you would get from a single drive.

Which is fairly typical of a cheap desktop PC where the limitation is the
memory and PCI bridge as much as the drive.

I really don't think that's any part of the issue, the same memory and bridge went 4-5x faster in other read cases. The truth is that the raid-1 performance is really bad, and it's the code causing it AFAIK. If you track the actual io it seems to read one drive at a time, in order, without overlap.

--
Bill Davidsen <davidsen@xxxxxxx>